The following blog is a chronicle of the films I'm studying for my Spring 09' semester of school. As per teacher's request, it also includes most of what I watch between assignments. Feature films I'm assigned to watch for my "History of Film 2" class require a 150+ word review. Enjoy.

Monday, February 23, 2009

Ugetsu


"Ugetsu" (feature)
Dir: Kenji Mizoguchi
Premier: 1953
Viewed: 2/23/09
Review: I learned a great many cinematic tricks while watching this film. Theres a wierd principle in film making where if you take an element from live-action, rip it off deliberately and post it in animation, it's considered a reference and adds color to a film. And the door swings both ways. I watched Resevoir Dogs in the AAU DVD lounge and was surprised to see references to Fantastic 4 as well as references to animation. The crossover wakes the viewers up, and calls their attention. But if you steal a sequence from Jungle Book and post it in your own animation, you're called a hack and rightfully so. But I digress.

I've seen Tantino use veeeeeeeery long takes. I feel that idea was taken from films like this one, where the actor is charged with a large monologue and must perform for unusually long takes. I also liked the use of ghosts to further the story. Japanese ghosts tend to not be superficially scary like in American horror. They tend to be more cerebrally scary, teaching life lessons through brutalo and terrifying honesty. The film used cheap editing and set tricks to seamlessly pass the viewer between the human world and the spirit world.

No comments:

Post a Comment