The following blog is a chronicle of the films I'm studying for my Spring 09' semester of school. As per teacher's request, it also includes most of what I watch between assignments. Feature films I'm assigned to watch for my "History of Film 2" class require a 150+ word review. Enjoy.

Friday, February 13, 2009

"All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up!"


"Afro Samurai: Resurrection" (feature)
Dir: Fuminori Kizaki
Exec. Produced: Samuel L. Jackson
Premier: 1/25/09
Viewed: 2/13/09



"Sunset Boulevard" (feature)
Dir: Billy Wilder
Premier: 8/4/1950
Viewed: 2/13/09
Review: Boy what a film to watch when gearing up for a career in Hollywood. This film was cynical, ruthless, and most of all, honest. The streets weren't paved so much with gold in this film, as they were with urine and old chewing gum. It opens with a man being chased by collection agencies. He unwittingly falls into the lap of an old mistress who's beloved pet monkey died. The mourning is short lived, though, as she just lucked into a new one.

So far in these noir films, the female roles seemed to be written to overpower the male roles. The male lead arguably held his own against his circumstances, but the mistress was terrifying. She made every one of her scenes unbearably awkward. It's hard to watch, but strangely enough, I can relate. Many of us have been in a situation where things are soooo awkward that it's tough just to get up in the morning. The lead gets what I'm sorry to say is a typical end in Sunset. The mistress is revealed to be about twice as insane as she was believed to be earlier. Welcome to film noir.

No comments:

Post a Comment