The following blog is a chronicle of the films I'm studying for my Spring 09' semester of school. As per teacher's request, it also includes most of what I watch between assignments. Feature films I'm assigned to watch for my "History of Film 2" class require a 150+ word review. Enjoy.

Monday, February 9, 2009

The Bicycle Thief


"The Bicycle Thief" (feature)
Dir: Vittorio De Sica
Premier: 12/13/1949
Viewed: 2/9/09
Review: “The Bicycle Thief” was a pretty depressing movie. I thought the characters were relatable enough. I guess that’s not too surprising, considering the setting of the plot. After a few years in art school, stories about frustration and futility tend to raise an eyebrow with me. At the end of the plot, Antonio is reduced to just another thief, victim to desperation. I can’t really decide whether that ending diminishes the viewer’s interest in the character, or enhances their empathy for him.

Lots of wide open spaces are utilized in this film. Added to which are large crowds, further driving the point of hopelessly lost property home. The acting was almost improvisational. The actors seemed to be making decisions from the gut, and from their own experiences. It really showed in scenes like when the two locate the thief, but the entire neighborhood sides with him. The frustration and tension in the sequence grew and grew until Antonio eventually gave up his search, and subsequently, his bicycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment