The following blog is a chronicle of the films I'm studying for my Spring 09' semester of school. As per teacher's request, it also includes most of what I watch between assignments. Feature films I'm assigned to watch for my "History of Film 2" class require a 150+ word review. Enjoy.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

HW 1


"Mildred Pierce" (feature)
Dir: Michael Curtiz
Premier: 10/20/1945
Viewed: 2/01/2009

Review: I thought this was a great introduction to the world of Film Noir. The plot was very interesting. I also liked the use of shadows, which I'm sure I'll see again in the coming Noir material. They really supported the suspense in the scenes. I can see that Film Noir can be a great way to study coincidental and non-coincidental lighting. I'm glad that the films I have to study, so far have been enjoyable too. We all know the fine line between entertainment and "well-crafted" homework.

Each character had a great dynamic with each other. What supports good acting, I feel, is a great set of characters who rub each other the wrong way (or the right way...). Mildred served as a great common ground between the three significant men in the film. In the end, we find out which of these men is truly right for her, though by then it's hardly any comfort for the audience. The ending of this story is bittersweet. I assume that can be expected from Film Noir.

No comments:

Post a Comment