The following blog is a chronicle of the films I'm studying for my Spring 09' semester of school. As per teacher's request, it also includes most of what I watch between assignments. Feature films I'm assigned to watch for my "History of Film 2" class require a 150+ word review. Enjoy.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Deep Cover For Batman!


"Wonder Woman" (feature)
Dir: Lauren Mongomery
Written: Michael Jelenic, Gail Simone (current W.W. comic writer)
Voices: Keri Russel, Alfred Molina, Rosario Dawson, Nathan Fillon, Virginia Madsen
Premier: 3/3/09
Viewed: 2/27/09 (wondercon preview)
Comment: The director/ story artist's first shot directing a feature-length film. It had more shades of "300-with-homicidal-supermodels" than the old live-action series. The infamous Bruce Timm helped out, I'm sure. It got a great reaction from the audience.



"The Graduate" (feature)
Dir: Mike Nichols
Premier: 1/15/1968
Viewed: 3/1/09
Review: The graduate was hilarious. I really connected with the lead character. I was able to relate to the idea of being “worried about my future”. I can relate to how those thought can turn you into an awkward and angry person at times. I can’t help but think of Mrs. Robinson. Her story is pretty clear, but the mindset she had to be in to come onto someone who is practically her nephew leaves a lot to the imagination. The director did a great job in putting the lead character in the worst, most awkward situations in the name of comedy. I joked with my parents that the only thing keeping me from Dustin Hoffman’s trouble was a car.

I really liked the matter-of-fact opening sequence, played with Simon & Garfunkel’s “Sounds of Silence”. The film started just as awkwardly as it would play, and eventually end. That song played during “Watchmen”, and I was glad I got the reference. Part of me wishes my life got that interesting, yet part of me doesn’t need the grief.






"Diabolique" (feature)
Dir: Henri-Georges Clouzot
Premier: 11/21/1955
Viewed: 3/2/09
Review: I’d be lying if I said this film didn’t get under my skin. I never was an openly eager fan of thriller’s. I thought the use of plot twists was masterful, even if the ending seemed a bit abrupt. The writers did a great job of drawing tons of false hypotheses out of the viewer. From sabotage, to ghost phenomena, to even further foul play, the viewer didn’t quite know what to think until the very end. Perhaps the reason the ending seemed too quick and tacked on was so the viewer wouldn’t take it seriously, and wonder if the lead actually did die.

The acting was a straight-forward job. The actress who played Nicole Horner had a somewhat tall order to fulfill. Then again, so did the other actress if many of the viewer’s theories are true. The final scenes were very well staged. I dug the concept of seeing the Michel’s figure through her clothing to make her seem more vulnerable. It’s that kind of thinking that made the ending that much more terrifying.




"Psycho" (feature clip)
Dir: Alfred Hitchcock
Premier: 1960
Viewed: 3/2/09


"Lawrence of Arabia" (feature clip)
Dir: David Lean
Premier: 1963
Viewed: 3/2/09


"The Manchurian Candidate" (feature clip)
Dir: John Frankenheimer
Premier: 10/24/1962
Viewed: 3/02/09



"Dr. Strangelove" (feature clip)
Dir: Stanley Kubrick
Premier: 1/29/1964
Viewed: 3/2/09


"Goldfinger" (feature clip)
Dir: Guy Hamilton
Music: John Barry
Premier: 1/9/1965
Viewed: 3/2/09


"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" (feature clip)
Dir: Mike Nichols
Premier: 6/22/1966
Viewed: 3/2/09


"Rosemary's Baby" (feature clip)
Dir: Roman Polansky
Premier: 6/12/1968
Viewed: 3/2/09


"Night of the Living Dead" (feature clip)
Dir: George A. Romero
Premier: 10/1/1968
Viewed: 3/2/09


Batman: The Brave and the Bold: "Deep Cover For Batman!"
Dir: Michael Chang
Premered: 2/28/09
Viewed: 3/2/09
Comment: That was probably the best guest star they've had in this show so far. Unexpected, even for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment