The following blog is a chronicle of the films I'm studying for my Spring 09' semester of school. As per teacher's request, it also includes most of what I watch between assignments. Feature films I'm assigned to watch for my "History of Film 2" class require a 150+ word review. Enjoy.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

"As little as possible."


"Monsters vs. Aliens" (feature)
Dir: Rob Letterman & Conrad Vernon
Premier: 2009
Viewed: 3/27/09


"Chinatown" (feature)
Dir: Roman Polanski
Premier: 1974
Viewed: 3/29/09
Review: I’ve read that these stories are known as “neo-noir”. “Chinatown” had this weird water works conspiracy that was hard to follow. I could tell that the conspiracy was getting bigger and bigger as the film went along, but I wouldn’t be able to tell you the east from west of it. There were undertones of corruption and deviancy throughout. I most definitely didn’t need the ending, where someone gets a FREAKIN’ HOLE blown through their head. This was during one of the off-chances that I was eating while watching that.

This is the movie, along with “The Shining”, that takes Jack Nicholson to the big leagues. As the documentary stated, He wasn’t great to look at, but he had a certain performance that filled a void. I think the first time I actually saw him was as The Joker. This was one of those movies that got him the role.

I noticed the use of ambiguous space, used as a tool to isolate Nicholson and Dunaway in the crowded restaurant scenes. Making the background blurry is a great way to isolate two characters for an intimate scene in a loud and crowded room.

No comments:

Post a Comment